Entrepreneurs Without Borders™
Who are we?
Entrepreneurs Without Borders™ (EWOB) is a student-lead organization that allows for entrepreneurial-minded collegiate students to establish long-term relationships with disenfranchised people in other countries and work with them to solve problems they are facing.
Through our work, we connect with communities around the world to learn from each other by developing business- based projects that solve local economic and social issues. In doing so, we utilize faculty experts and entrepreneurs from our University and our target communities. For students, EWOB provides a valuable opportunity to work towards social change and integrate classroom learning into practice to become a force for the public good.
EWOB was founded by students at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign in 2008, and has established another chapter outside of the United States at Josip Juraj Strossmeyer University in Osijek, Croatia. We currently maintain two projects, one with our chapter in Osijek, the other in Peru, and we are developing projects in Scotland, Kenya, and India. EWOB is headquartered within the College of Business at the University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, and is expanding chapters at universities nationally and internationally.
Joseph Schumpeter's motivations of an Entrepreneur, from "Theory of Economic Development":
1. The joy of creating, of getting things done, of simply exercising one's energy and ingenuity.
2. The will to conquer: the impulse to fight, ...to succeed for the sake, not of the fruits of success, but of success itself.
Our Mission Statement
Entrepreneurs Without Borders™ hopes to empower its members to identify, design, and implement sustainable, project based solutions to issues faced by people in developing and subsistence economies around the world.
Short Term Goals: In 2012, EWOB hopes to accomplish 4 goals
- To return to the EWOB chapter in Josip Juraj Strossmayer University in Osijek, Croatia and work with them to improve the consulting project we performed there in January of 2011. Together, we hope to expand upon our client base, standardize our training process, and establish a permanent consulting practice at the University.
- To return to Peru, equipped with a feasible plan designed at the University of Illinois that will bring economic development to the village of Casa Blanca
- To return to Bangalore, India and consult with another client with the focus of enabling growth and advancement for their business
- To recruit additional members that will fill the ranks to accomplish our previous three goals, and who will lead the future growth of EWOB
Near Term Goals: In the coming years, EWOB hopes to
- Establish a strong presence at the University of Illinois, through active seasonal recruitment, dynamic projects over multiple academic breaks, and on-campus activities (including workshops, panels and presentations)
- Develop a means to finance every project trip in full, to allow for the most impactful experiences
Long Term Goals: As an organization, EWOB hopes to establish chapters around the world, and utilize network effects or our collaboration to empower the disenfranchised in the world by providing opportunities for education and resources.
What is an Entrepreneur?
Some people associate negative connotations to the title of entrepreneur, and see them as lone wolfs, or greedy businessmen. We see entrepreneurs as anyone who is brave enough to turn an idea into a reality. Those ideas are solutions that come from all places, and address all sorts of problems. Those realities take many forms, sometimes a business, other times a new way of thinking. Entrepreneurs are team-players, who are versatile, adaptable, and comfortable with ambiguity. Entrepreneurs manage the risk of failure in order to make something better.